H.Y. Engineering Ltd. was founded in 1980 by Holden Yip in his Burnaby basement. Fast forward 40 years — today H.Y. Engineering is a firm that has 50+ employees, with countless projects and developments under its belt throughout the Lower Mainland and B.C.
Richard Brooks, a Principal with H.Y. since 1986, has seen the company grow exponentially and take on larger projects (not just limited to the Lower Mainland). Richard states, “We have been able to keep up and adapt to the ever-changing building and land development standards in the industry such as stringent erosion and sediment control requirements, environmental complexities and evolving LEED and sustainability advancements.”
With the addition of H.Y Surveying in 2002 and Professional Planning Services in 2010, H.Y. Engineering has become a well-rounded firm that is able to meet the multiple requirements of its clientele.
Today, H.Y. Engineering is overseen by its nine Principals:
- Richard Brooks, (Partner since 1986)
- Eugene Wong, BCLS (Partner since 2002)
- Lori Joyce, CPT (Partner since 2017)
- John Vairo, CTech (Partner since 2017)
- Gordon Yu, BCLS (Partner since 2017)
- Will Bodnar, P.Eng. (Partner since 2018)
- Derek Rempel, P.Eng. (Partner since 2018)
- Jay Lim, CPA, CGA (Partner since 2018)
- Curtis Van Hove, BTech, LST (Partner since 2020)
H.Y.’s recent work on significant projects such as the massive Oakridge redevelopment has shown their capability of handling large-scale projects competently and efficiently.
H.Y. Engineering has strategically grown to meet the demands of the industry and their valued clients. And while the firm is proud of the accomplishments over the last 40 years, what really is exciting is where H.Y. Engineering and their clients are heading in the future.